A lot of families choose to remodel their home, whether it be for their own aesthetic purposes or for financial gain when they try to sell it later on. While many people only focus on the physical attractiveness of the home, the biggest and most successful home upgrades are the often-forget about parts of the home. These include the yard and the HVAC system.For Houston, TX home upgrades for your HVAC systems by TMM HVAC Service, call (346) 444-3690 today.
What Are the Best Home Upgrades?
The best home upgrades are ones that increase space. Whether that is adding a deck or patio, or transforming an unused basement, attic, or garage into an extra bedroom, property value soars when extra rooms are added on. Other house upgrades that really help to add value to your home are replacing your windows with more energy efficient ones, and remodeling the kitchen or bathroom.
If you are wanting house upgrades to make life more comfortable, opt for improving the rooms that you use the most. These include the kitchen, bathroom, living room, or master bedroom. Upgrades you can do to make these rooms more comfortable include replacing your current tub with a more efficient shower/tub hybrid or upgrading to a bidet toilet. For a kitchen remodel, you can get a bigger refrigerator that includes a water filtration system inside it to provide healthy water to the family.
What Home Improvements Add The Most Value?
Home upgrades that add value to the home include landscaping, painting both the interior and exterior walls, and adding or replacing your siding. As most of these new home upgrades are outside, it goes to show just how big of a role that curb appeal has in increasing the property value of a home.
There are some considerations you should keep in mind when making major home renovations. Home upgrades that don’t pay off include:
- Making too many home improvements can actually backfire. You need to make sure that the renovations will still match the overall theme of your neighborhood and that a drastic makeover won’t make your home stand out like a sore thumb on your block. For example, while a corrugated metal roof has plenty of benefits, if everyone on your street has shingle roofs, then your house will stand out for the worse.
- Homebuyers like to envision their own designs on your home and they can’t do that when a giant mural or wallpaper is covering the walls. Not only are these repairs expensive to remove, but they are time consuming and a turn off to potential buyers.
- While you might think that a speciality built in like an aquarium or a hot tub increase property value, they can actually lower it as many people don’t want these add ons and all the extra work they require to maintain them.
- Always try to go for more energy efficient upgrades over technology-efficient upgrades, as these will pay off more in the long run due to the ever-changing trends in technology.
- Making major changes to your home’s maintenance systems like the plumbing or heating can seem like a kind gesture, but can be seen that your energy systems are all out of shape and that you had to get them repaired for the next homeowners. Instead, just opt for small upgrades like switching your tank water heater out for a more efficient tankless water heater.
What Kind of Home Improvements Are Tax Deductible?
If any of the home upgrades that you made were for medical purposes (such as installing a walk-in tub or a wheelchair ramp), then these can be deducted on your taxes as medical expenses. Other ways you can receive tax deductions are by having energy efficient roofing in the form of solar panels or wind panels. You receive reduced taxes because the government pays to use some of the energy that your solar panels stores, so the government is essentially paying you back through lessened taxes.
While smart home upgrades won’t help to lower your taxes, they do help to make life easier and can increase your property value. Popular smart home upgrades include smart thermostats, wifi doorbells with cameras or home security cameras. For home upgrades in Houston, TX like tankless water heaters that will boost your home’s property value, call TMM HVAC Service at (346) 444-3690 for installation.